MARANACOOK AREA SCHOOLS
A Caring School Community dedicated to Excellence
All students will increase their academic performance and will be prepared for career,
post-secondary education, and life pathways.
The future of our communities depends on our youth meeting this goal. They need our support!
The Guiding Principles for the RSU #38 Vision states that:
Students need an evidence-based, rigorous curriculum that
- focuses on state standards
- promotes engagement
- provides a challenging range of courses, experiences, and extracurricular activities
- recognizes the needs, interests, and abilities of all learners
- blends the changing needs of society with the needs of individual learners
- integrates technological advances and collaboration
(Note: RSU 38 School Board sponsored a community-based future search in the Spring of 2018 and will be developing an updated Strategic Plan during the 2018-19 school year.)
CURRICULUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPDATED IN ALL AREAS TO MEET THIS GOAL!
Minutes of School Board Curriculum Committee
RSU #38 Curriculum Guides
Maine Learning Results Standards for MATHEMATICS
English Language Arts (Reading, Writing, Speaking & Listening)
Maine Learning Results for English Language Arts
Science & Technology
Visual & Performing Arts
Physical Education & Health
For More Information about Standards, Instruction & Assessments
Instruction in Mathematics in RSU #38 addresses the Common Core Standards. How are these expectations different from traditional approaches to math?
- RIGOR– students are introduced to concepts
- USE STRATEGIES– students learn multiple strategies for solving any problem
- UNDERSTAND & EXPLAIN – students show how to solve problems AND can explain why each approach works at younger ages
- USE MODELS & EQUATIONS – students use visual models and equations to represent mathematical problems from a young age
Writing Instruction in RSU #38 addresses the Common Core Standards for Writing. The new standards emphasize
- The writing process including drafting, editing, and revising
- Different types of writing: Narrative, Informational, Persuasive